Pivot Bio launched the N-OVATOR pilot in 2022, hoping to capture results from small subset of its customers using Proven 40, the company’s nitrogen-fixing microbe product for corn.
The program results, not to mention enthusiasm from growers, were far beyond initial expectations, says Pivot:
- Currently, Proven 40 replaces about 20% of a customer’s synthetic nitrogen.
- Growers replaced 36 pounds of synthetic fertilizer per acre on average without impacting yield.
- Across the program, participants replaced synthetic nitrogen on a total of 725,000 acres, avoiding more than 80,000 metric tons of CO2e — roughly the same amount of CO2e generated by annual electricity use in 15,000 homes.
- N-OVATOR participants replaced nearly 12,000 tons of synthetic fertilizer. Pivot says this is the largest reduction of its kind ever recorded.
- Pivot’s microbes were used on more than 3 million acres of U.S. cropland in 2022, a 300% year-over-year growth for the second year in a row. READ MORE.